The peas from the plot, or at least the pods that I managed to lay a claim to and bring back home, were picked on the Saturday and considerable time it took too – a reflection I’d like to think of the bumper crop rather than the work ethic of the pickers. It is amazing to think that just ten days previously we were looking hard to find a handful of pods with their contents swollen sufficiently, as reported in ‘Veggie Update V‘. Development since has been so good that around 80% of the peas must have been picked at this one session. As one would expect of such professional gardeners we carried out sophisticated quality testing on site personally and were amply aided by a fussy 3 year old who gave the thumbs up. So having passed all such tests pods were taken back to the City for treatment.
The frist thing to do was to take the coats off, so we started by unzipping the pods.
Having left the peas exposed to the elements but still hanging on to their outer linings it was time to get ruthless. The peas were stripped from their coats and to add to the confusion neighbour was separated from neighbour and all the peas were mixed together.
The coats lay in a pile next to a glass bowl, now full of peas. Fights broke out as greater space was sought and there was the usual rush for the window seats to see what was happening. Those that had gathered there suddenly fell silent as a white door was opened, cold air seeped forth and plastic bags were flexed.
Please note that the ending of this horrific tale has been forcibly cut by the editor and other sensors in order to spare any unnecessary suffering that may be caused to vegetable lovers or people of a nervous disposition.